It can be hard to pamper yourself when you feel like you have very little time for YOU. Between working, cleaning the house, taking care of our sweet kids, taking care of our sweet husbands, making sure everyone is fed, making sure everyone has had a bath, and trying to make sure you eat dinner too, it can be nearly impossible to get a little down time. And when you are trying to stick to a budget, it gets even harder. BUT, no matter how hard you think it is, repeat after me…”I am important too and I should do things that make ME happy!”
Go ahead and say it again. Maybe a few times. I’ll wait…
OK, now that you’ve hopefully realized that you deserve to have some time to yourself, let’s talk about how we can make that happen!
First, you’ve got to make the time. There’s never enough time in the day, we all know that, but if something is important to you, you make the time. Maybe you put the kids to bed 20 minutes earlier, maybe you wake up half an hour earlier (HA!), maybe you have everyone make their own PB&J sandwich for dinner or pick up pizza for the second time this week. There are times when you have to LET GO. Stop controlling everything and feeling like the world is going to end if your child has a bean and cheese burrito for dinner for the third night in a row. It’s OK sometimes. It all balances out.
Second, decide what you’re going to do! OK, I suppose this might need to come before you make time for it, but now that you’ve made this time for it, here is where you get to start doing it!
Here’s some ideas for what IT could be. Remember, these are budget friendly ideas. Sure, you could spend a lot and go to the spa for the day or go on a shopping spree, but we’re talking a little smaller scale right now. Something you could do with a smaller amount of time and money.
- Take a bath– Never a bad idea-Add some bubbles and make sure the door is locked and the music is drowning out everything else! Wine is optional.
- Buy a magazine and relax while reading it– To me, this is splurge. I rarely read magazines other than on airplanes or something, so it’s exciting to purchase one that looks fun and get lost in pages of things like fashion, makeup, and home decor!
- Paint you nails– If you’ve never used the Sally Hansen gel polish, it’s amazing! I can paint my nails in ten minutes and they are completely dry! Plus, they don’t chip off the next day, because let’s be honest, I’m not going to give up precious free time during naps to paint my nails and have it chipping off the very next day. I always feel “put together” and fancy when I have painted nails. You’d think I’d do it more.
- Invite a friend over to chat over coffee or drinks or to watch a TV show or movie. Let your family know you are off limits (or send them to grandma’s house) and enjoy talking about characters and plots like you’re back in high school.
- Go swimming ALONE. The idea of not having to keep an eye on little ones around the pool can be relaxing all by itself. Get a nice cold drink in your hand, some music, and you’ve turned the idea of a relaxing bath into more of a beach getaway!
- Get a FREE makeover at a beauty counter- Make an appointment at your favorite department store at any of the beauty counters you choose and walk away feeling like a new woman! Pair this with a date night and you’re all set!
- Subscribe to a monthly beauty package.- Ipsy and Birchbox are two good options. For only around $10 a month, you’ll get a package delivered to your door with great new beauty products to try and fall in love with! Plus, as you use the new products, you’ll be pampering yourself throughout the month!
- Ask for samples– Now don’t hold me to this because I haven’t had a chance to check it out yet, but I read something that said Sephora will give you a sample of ANY product in their store if you ask. You could find a great new eye shadow or lipstick and give it a try for free! What a great way to brighten up a Tuesday, or get glammed up for a night out.
- Ask for gift certificates– When it comes to “stuff” we’ve all got plenty. When someone asks you what you’re wanting for your birthday, Mother’s Day, or Christmas, don’t be afraid to tell them about that pedicure or massage you’ve been thinking about. You don’t get what you don’t ask for!
- Go anywhere with a friend.- Spending time with friends is fun and automatically makes me feel refreshed and ready to get back to “wife mode” or “mommy mode.” You could go for a walk, go grocery shopping together, meet at Starbucks or for FroYo, even just walk around Target. No matter what you’re doing, it’ll be fun!
What other ideas do you have? Do share!